A Beautiful Soul

This past weekend my family visited my sister Julie at the Shrine in Alabama to celebrate her 29nd birthday. This was also her one year anniversary in joining the monastery. Julie is such a sincere, sweet young lady. She believes whole heartily in her calling and you can just see the passion in her when talking. The first time I went to visit Julie, I had many reservations about her joining a cloistered monastery, but I have come to realize that it has nothing to do with me. This is her choice and what she is called to do. If she hadn't wanted me to get married or have children, as I feel called to do, I would have thought she was nuts. So, who am I to judge what someone else wants to do with their life. We were able to have some great conversations and I was glad to see that she just seemed so "normal" for lack of a better word. She is the Julie I have always known, just a little more driven to spread God's message. I also was able to attend a very moving Latin Mass at the Shrine and join the nuns in praying the rosary. It was a great opportunity to reassess where I am in my faith and where I am leading my children in theirs. All in all, the twenty hours of driving in three days was well worth it!

Jeff, Sister Julie and I visiting
Hannah, Sister Julie and I

This picture does not even begin to show how beautiful she is. Plus, you should hear her sing!

Happy Birthday Sister Julie!

My mom and dad drove from Florida to visit. My dad is so proud and my mom is getting used to the idea. It is hard for her to see Julie behind the iron work.


1 comment:

Danette said...

That is truly amazing. Does she always have to stay behind the bars or will she at some point "graduate" from that position? Either way, I love to see people so dedicated to their faith and trying to help spread the word of God. You too are a great person of faith, believe me, I would know after all those talks we would have about it. You are almost as crazy as I am!
Only a few more days until Christmas break, I can hardly wait, I'm sure you are in that same boat too :-)